Ecommerce & Digital Marketing Salary Benchmarking
What follows is a comprehensive ecommerce and digital marketing salary guide for those involved in ecommerce recruitment. Not all digital or ecommerce roles in all companies fit this guide (for example. the Head of E-commerce for a top 10 online retail site is likely to earn more than the Head of E-commerce for a fledgling online store) but this gives a rough idea as to what our ecommerce recruitment candidates do at each salary band.
Digital Marketing Executive
- Typical salary for a Digital Marketing Executive: £25k+
- Variations include: PPC Executive, SEO Executive, Affiliate Executive, Online Advertising Executive, Partnership Executive, Online Acquisition Executive, Online Channel Executive, Email Marketing Executive.
Digital Marketing Manager / Senior Digital Marketing Manager
- Typical salary for a Digital Marketing Manager: £35k+
- Typical salary for a Senior Digital Marketing Manager: £60k+
- At this level, a role is often looking after one part of an online marketing plan.
- Variations include: PPC Manager, SEO Manager, Affiliate Manager, Online Advertising Manager, Partnership Manager, Online Acquisition Manager, Online Channel Manager, Email Marketing Manager, CRM Manager.
Head of Digital Marketing
- Typical salary for a Head of Digital Marketing: £80k+
- At this level, a role usually becomes more strategically responsible for spending a marketing budget across all online channels and will often manage a team of online marketing execs/managers.
- Variations include: Head of Online Marketing, Online Marketing Manager, Head of Marketing, Head of Customer Acquisition, Customer Acquisition Manager.
- Typical salary for an Ecommerce Manager: £40k+
- At this level, a role is often looking after one part of a website. Variations include: Website manager, merchandiser, analytics manager, conversion manager, online product manager, customer experience manager, user experience manager, category manager, project manager.
Head of Ecommerce
- Typical salary for a Head of Ecommerce: £80k+
- At this level, a role is usually responsible for managing the commercial performance of a website and will often manage a team of e-commerce managers.
- Variations include Head of Web, Head of User Experience, Website Manager, Online Store Manager, Head of Online Sales. Project and Program managers tasked with the relaunch or overhaul of a website will fall into this category.
Director of Digital Marketing and E-Commerce
- Typical salary for a Director of Digital Marketing and Ecommerce: £90k+
- At this level, a role is effectively P&L responsible for a website and will oversee all marketing (acquisition and retention) and Website User Experience (Conversion).
- A role at this level usually also includes offline/multi-channel and customer services responsibility. Variations include Head of Online, Director of Online, Marketing Director, Director of Direct Sales, Online Sales Director.
Director / Managing Director Digital
- Typical salary for a Digital Managing Director: £150k+
- At this level, a role usually heads up all online operations, trading and the business proposition as well as overseeing sales and marketing.
- There is usually cross channel responsibility (operations/supply chain/customer services/marketing/finance etc)
See more from our 2021 Salary Analysis, or browse our latest Ecommerce jobs now.